Pineapple Shrimp Ceviche - The Perfect Summer Camping Meal
Camping on a hot day can drain your energy quickly, and sometimes the last thing you want to worry about is cooking a big meal.
By: Luke & Alysha
Camping on a hot day can drain your energy quickly, and sometimes the last thing you want to worry about is cooking a big meal. Not only that, but you more than likely are not wanting to cook something on your stovetop and have your RV become even hotter! Luckily for you, we have the perfect go-to refreshing meal that you can quickly prepare on those scorching hot days at the campsite – Pineapple Shrimp Ceviche.
Ceviche is a Latin American dish that uses no heat to ‘cook’ the seafood in it. We cheat in our recipe and use pre-cooked shrimp, however, if you were to make an authentic ceviche you would ‘cook’ the seafood by having it marinate in citrus juices and cure. The fact that there is no real cooking involved in the preparation of this dish makes it the perfect dish to make on a hot day. A cold ceviche is also an amazingly refreshing treat to have mid-day at the campsite on top of a tortilla chip.
There are so many different variations of the classic ceviche, but the pineapple shrimp ceviche recipe we have included below is our favourite. You can substitute the shrimp for pretty much any type of seafood – tuna, squid, tilapia, mahi-mahi, you name it! You can also play around with the additional ingredients and make your ceviche just the way you like it. For example, you can substitute the pineapple for mango, or omit it altogether if you don’t want the sweet fruit in your ceviche. You could add cucumber or jicama for some more crunch, or chilis, jalapeno, or hot sauce for some spice. The sky is the limit, so get creative!
SHRIMP & PINEAPPLE CEVICHE
- 1lb cooked shrimp – thawed, peeled, deveined
- 2 lemons
- 3 limes
- 1 navel orange
- 6 Roma tomatoes – seeds removed and diced
- ½ red onion – finely diced
- 1 cup pineapple - diced
- ½ cup cilantro - diced
- 1 avocado – diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut shrimp into small pieces (about ¼ inch) and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the juice from 2 lemons, 3 limes and 1 orange to the bowl with the shrimp. Stir and let the shrimp marinate in the citrus juices while you chop the rest of the ceviche ingredients excluding the avocado.
- Add the chopped tomato, red onion, pineapple, and cilantro to the bowl with the shrimp and citrus juices. Stir, then refrigerate for 30 minutes to 3 hours if possible.
- Chop the avocado and mix into the ceviche when ready to serve.
- Season the ceviche to taste with salt and pepper and serve with tortilla chips or crackers right away.
We think that Ceviche is a great quick and easy meal to enjoy when the weather is hot, but honestly, we enjoy ceviche year-round. We love how versatile this dish is and are always experimenting with different recipes. Are you or someone you are cooking for not a fan of seafood? Don’t worry, you can just omit the shrimp, lemon juice and orange juice and you will have yourself an amazing pineapple pico de gallo! We hope you try out our Pineapple Shrimp Ceviche or create your own delicious concoction!
About the authors: Luke & Alysha bought their first RV from Fraserway RV and travelled around Canada exploring.