2 Unique, Quick And Easy Recipes For Your Next RV Trip
It can sometimes be hard to come up with quick and easy meals to cook in your RV that also don’t require you to wash a mountain of dishes afterwards (we all know how precious each drop of water in your fresh tank can be!) Luckily, we have plenty of experience in our RV kitchen while living on the road, and we’ve got 2 simple meals that you may not have thought of to add to your RV meal arsenal.
First is a dish that we love to eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner – Shakshuka. This dish was originally from North Africa but is also very common in the Middle East. Shakshuka is extremely versatile, so use your imagination (and whatever ingredients you already have in your fridge) to make this dish your own. Shakshuka is basically eggs poached in a chunky tomato and vegetable sauce, and seasoned with cumin, chili flakes, and garlic. You can add meat, beans, cheese or different vegetables, but this is our favourite twist on the classic Shakshuka.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 4 eggs
- Crumbled feta to top
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Cook onion, red pepper, and garlic for a couple of minutes until they start to soften.
- Add chilli flakes and cumin. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and increase heat to medium-high until the mixture starts to boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 7-8 minutes or until mixture has slightly thickened and tomatoes begin to sweeten.
- Stir in spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Using a spoon, clear 4 circles in the tomato mixture. Carefully crack 1 egg into each of the cleared areas in the tomatoes.
- Increase heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook until the eggs are to your liking (we like ours soft-medium)
- Serve with your choice of side dish – toast, rice, potatoes etc.
One of our all time favourite meals is sushi. We will occasionally muster up the courage to make our own sushi rolls at home, and we have even tried rolling our own sushi in the RV. The truth is, the process is time consuming, messy, and sometimes a little stressful. This is why we have come up with our favourite meal on a hot summer day – sushi bowls! Combining all of the sushi ingredients in a bowl rather than rolling individual sushi rolls is a much better experience, especially in a smaller RV kitchen. Again with this meal, you can modify it to what you already have in the fridge or what you and your family prefer. You could even modify each individual bowl to fit everyone’s taste. The recipe below is our go-to ingredients for our sushi bowl, but be creative – shrimp, teriyaki beef or chicken, tuna, tofu, mango, radish, scallions, edamame, sriracha – the combinations are endless!
- 1 cup raw sushi rice (short grain rice) cooked based on package instructions
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup imitation crab meat, diced
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ large carrot, julienned
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Soy sauce to top (optional)
- Cook sushi rice based on the instructions provided on the package. Once cooked, spread rice out on a plate and set aside to cool.
- Add oil and shallots to a frying pan on medium heat. Cook until golden brown, but not burnt. Place on a paper towel and set aside to cool.
- Mix the diced crab meat and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Once sushi rice has cooled to room temperature, split the rice into two bowls. Top each bowl with half of the fried shallots, crab mixture, cucumber, carrots, avocado, and sunflower seeds. Top each bowl with soy sauce if desired.
Hopefully, these delicious and healthy meals have inspired you to try something new while out adventuring (or at home)! Just because you are travelling and living on the road doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice delicious home-cooked meals, leaving you ready for your next adventure.
About the authors: Luke & Alysha bought their first RV from Fraserway RV and travelled around Canada exploring.